Thursday, February 25, 2016

THE HACKING OLD LADY


She coughed with a hack like the devil
Cigarettes had taken their toll
Looking every bit of her vast years
Though I didn’t know just how old

“Did you hear that young girl over there?”
Looking back as she spoke to me
“She’s complaining about her new job
Bet she don’t work as hard as me!”

“Kids today they don’t know a damn thing
Except how to bitch and complain
They got it too good I’m tellin’ ya
Don’t even use half of their brains!”

I stared at her as she went on and on
Her face was a twisted up knot
I wasn’t sure if she made some sense
Or, maybe she didn’t know squat

“Oh don’t get me wrong I’m getting old”
“But, I’m happy to do the work”
“I sure won’t sit around and complain”
“Folks would call this old broad a jerk!”

I finally got the nerve to ask her
Knowing she was older than me
Just how long had she been on this earth
She yelled out like a crazed banshee

“Hell! I’m gonna be fifty next year!!”
I turned my head the other way
I guess it was good my jaw had dropped
Since I had nothing more to say

This crazy old loud hacking woman
That I had “pigeon holed” you see
Was not what I had assumed at all
Oh dear Lord! She’s younger than me!

The moral of my story is clear
It’s really not smart to assume
Or, you might spend the rest of your days
Pickin’ your jaw up with a broom!

1 comment:

  1. I know - I know ! Sometimes I am amazed at young folks in thier 50s who were "Rode Hard - and Put Away Wet". They are done already. Then you see a 90 year old on roller skates. Go figure. I do marvel in retrospect to think how ancient I thought the old men were in 1965, some TWENTY BIG YEARS after WWII. Me and another Vietnam Vet were reminiscing today 45 YEARS later from THAT event and it is hard to wrap our gray heads around how old we really are.

    ReplyDelete